Information for Providers
Benefits and features
The Pupillage Gateway is a flexible and cost-effective way for chambers and Authorised Training Organisations (ATOs) to advertise pupillages and manage applications – making it easier than ever before to run a modern, online, recruitment process.
Operated and owned by the Bar Council, the Gateway collates all applications into one centralised system so that you can track the progress of each candidate’s application, with assistance at every stage of the process. It has a bespoke design with improved functionality to support the high-volume application process for pupillage.
Key features of the Pupillage Gateway:
- An easy-to-navigate system
- The opportunity to edit pupillage vacancies
- The facility to add chambers specific question with word count adjustment
- An online marking system to assess applications on-screen and manage each application as it is received
- A clear progress map of each candidate’s journey towards recruitment
- The ability to shortlist candidates for first and second round interviews with the option of creating interview slots or allowing candidates to log onto the system to book their interviews
- An email template to communicate updates to candidates at each stage of the process. The template can be edited and tailored to individual candidates, and
- The capability to view aggregated equal opportunities monitoring data online and offline. The data can be broken down according to the stage that each candidate has reached.
The Gateway is fully compliant with the Bar Standards Board’s regulations on equality and goes further by assisting chambers with best practice. To find out more on the best practice features of the Gateway, read this document. Best Practice Guide
The Bar Council and Jobs Go Public are committed to investing in the system to ensure that it meets the needs of the profession. The following upgrades have been made in preparation for the 2018/19 recruitment round:
For just £437.50 plus VAT, you can access the high-quality Pupillage Gateway and use the central application system. There is no cost to applicants, or to chambers which are advertising vacancies only.
- In response to feedback from the profession and applicants, the five mandatory Bar Council questions have been removed, so that chambers and ATOs can create entirely bespoke questions for their vacancies.
- Following feedback from, and consultation with users of the Gateway, applicants may now make up to 20 applications on the Pupillage Gateway.
- The Gateway system and software has been verified as compliant with the GDPR and the Data Protection Bill 2018. The Gateway terms and conditions have been updated to reflect this fact. https://www.pupillagegateway.com/terms/
Subscribing to the Pupillage Gateway has never been easier. Just follow this two-step process:
Please contact the Member Services department on 0207 611 1329 to make payment over the phone by credit or debit card. If you would prefer to pay by cheque then please make payable to ‘The General Council of the Bar’ and send to Member Services, The General Council of the Bar, 289-293 High Holborn, London WC1V 7HZ. The total amount payable is £437.50+VAT (£525).
If you are new to the system this year, you will need to complete the Chambers Account Information Form
and return it to Pupillagegateway@barcouncil.org.uk
. On receipt of payment confirmation from step 1, the Bar Council’s Services team will activate your account and login details will be issued to you by email.
If you are not planning on using the Pupillage Gateway to manage applications but still need to advertise, complete the Chambers Account Information Form
and the Vacancy Information Form
and email them to the Bar Council at Pupillagegateway@barcouncil.org.uk
and we will publish your vacancy. You will then receive a confirmation email once this has been done.
Download a sample of the Pupillage Gateway application form here