Home Information for Applicants What to expect when you get a pupillage
Information for Applicants

What to expect when you get a pupillage

If you are successful in obtaining a pupillage, what can you expect when you start?

Your pupil supervisor

During the first six, you will be assigned one or more pupil supervisors – a barrister in the same set of chambers or Authorised Training Organisation (ATO) that you will shadow and for whom you will undertake, at least during your first six, supervised work, such as legal research and drafting court documents. You will be covered by your pupil supervisor’s insurance until you complete your pupillage (the first 12 months) and hold a full practising certificate.

Presenting yourself

Throughout the course of your pupillage, you will find yourself attending court with your pupil supervisor and other barristers. Although you will not be a fully qualified barrister until you have successfully completed pupillage, you will be expected to dress like a barrister. Traditionally, all pupils are required to wear a suit, whether or not they are attending court.

First and second six

Pupillage lasts for 12 months and is broken up into the ‘first six’ months and the ‘second six’ months. Although the format of pupillage will vary between each chambers, traditionally your first six is non-practising and largely spent shadowing your pupil supervisor and other members of chambers. In your second six, you may be eligible to undertake cases on your own, albeit under close supervision and subject to permission being granted from your Head of Chambers

Your clerks

Clerks are chambers’ staff and they are responsible for generating and assigning work to barristers, as well as managing barristers’ diaries. They are familiar with court procedure and etiquette.


When undertaking pupillage, you will have the opportunity to meet and interact with many different solicitors. Traditionally, a self-employed barrister receives the majority of their instructions from solicitors. However, you may find that you build a Public Access practice following successful completion of pupillage. This is where, in suitable cases, barristers take instructions directly from clients, without the need for a solicitor.

BSB Handbook

All members of the Bar are subject to the rules of professional conduct as set out in the BSB Handbook. A failure to adhere to these rules can result in a finding of professional misconduct against the barrister concerned. There are specific rules of the Handbook that refer to pupils, as they are not fully qualified barristers until successful completion of pupillage. Part 4: Qualification Rules of the Handbook deals specifically with pupil barristers.

Courses that must be undertaken at the Inn

All pupils are required by the Bar Standards Board to complete an assessed advocacy training course and to attend a practice management course. Both courses are organised by the Inns. The advocacy training course is taught by senior barristers and judges who are also accredited advocacy trainers. The practice management course offers practical help with managing your practice and includes advice on financial issues.


Your workload as a pupil differs depending on your area of practice. Although your first six generally consists of observing and assisting your pupil supervisor and other barristers in chambers, you will often be expected to undertake legal research, take notes and observe in client conferences and draft court documents. You may find that you have a larger workload during your second six, particularly if you are granted permission to take on your own cases. However, you may still be expected to continue to work with and under the supervision of your pupil supervisor.

Becoming a tenant

Tenancy is the entitlement to continue to practise from a set of chambers as a self-employed barrister. Recruitment methods vary between chambers, but decisions about tenancy are usually made about ten months into your pupillage. Competition for tenancy can be tough, and some chambers take on several pupils but only retain one as a tenant. Appraisal might be based simply on your pupil supervisor’s assessment of your abilities, or you may have to take part in a formal exercise. Some sets of chambers take on every pupil with a view to making them a tenant if they perform well.

Once you are a tenant, your income will come directly from the work you take on, either in your own right or when acting as junior counsel in a team of barristers. With the support of your chamber’s clerks, you will need to build up a a good reputation and a network of solicitors who will instruct you.

Six month tenancies

If you are not offered tenancy at the end of your pupillage year, you may undertake a ‘six month tenancy’ at your current chambers or at a different set of chambers. In that situation, the newly qualified barrister would take on their own cases, but may not pay chambers rent, depending on what arrangement they have. This might allow you to gain exposure to other types of work, and will give you another chance to apply for full tenancy. Some chambers allow those pupils who have not been offered a full tenancy to stay for a six month tenancy. You will need your own insurance to do this.


Chambers are required to fund pupillage with a minimum award of £12,000 (split into £6,000 for each six months). The award may well be more (and often is), depending on the chambers or ATO – please see individual vacancies. Pupils may also earn money from case work they take on in the second six.

Scholarships are not generally available for pupillage, and are only offered by the Inns to support you throughout your GDL or BPTC. If you want to undertake part-time work during your year of pupillage, you must get the permission of your pupil supervisor and Head of Chambers before doing so.